Learn More — History
Dickson Cumberland Presbyterian Church
A Brief History
The Dickson congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized under the leadership of the Reverend A.H. Manley and the Revered J.F. Lackey. At first, the fledgling congregation met in the home of Miss Betty Shearon, one of the seventeen charter members. The new congregation was received into the Charlotte Presbytery of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church on October 6, 1899.
The congregation's first building was located on North Main Street, near the site of the present First United Methodist Church.
In 1924-1925, the building was sold and another built on a new location -West Fifth and Bryant Streets. The congregation worshipped at this location until 1986.
On May 18,1986, the congregation moved to its third and present building. This facility is located on a four and one-half acre site along Highway Seventy between Shady Hollow Road and Park Circle.
Dickson Cumberland Presbyterian continues to minister to needs in this community through numerous outreach efforts. Each Fall, there is a Coat/Clothing Give-Away for all sizes and ages. Each year, the Angel Tree Program makes it possible for many families who would have very little, or nothing, to better enjoy the Christmas Season. We also participate in The Samaritan Purse Christmas Shoe Box Ministry which sends Christmas gifts along with the gospel message to thousands of children around the world. Our Manna Ministry continues to provide food for those who are hungry. Our Caring Ministry provides assistance for those seeking help with utilities and other immediate needs. These ministries are in addition to those we support through the Cumberland Presbyterian Denominational Board of Missions. Dickson Cumberland Presbyterian Church is certainly a Church that reaches out to its community, and beyond, with the Love of Christ.
The congregation continues to grow. We are seeing people open their hearts to Jesus Christ and receiving Eternal Life as a result of our Evangelism Explosion Ministry. Members of the congregation are being trained to share their faith in effective and exciting ways. Our future growth is unlimited. The fields are truly "white unto harvest!" With the Lord of the Harvest's help, we will continue to reach the lost of our community with the Good News of the Saving Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Christian nurture is provided through an active Sunday School Program with classes for all ages. We also enjoy very active children and youth ministries.
The present Pastor is Reverend Robert D. Truitt who began serving the congregation in December 2002.
"...and whosoever will, let him take the Water of Life Freely."